Monday, January 19, 2009

An Ambulance, A Firetruck, A police car, Oh My!

The craziest thing happened the other day. On my way home I had to stop and fill gas. Kyle is my little helper and likes to hold the nozzle while it fills up. I put the little lever-thing down so that the gas would pump itself and turned around to put my debit card away. All of a sudden Kyle starts screaming "My eyes, my eyes!" and I turned around and gas was spraying EVERYWHERE! Kyle pulled the nozzle out and because of the lever it continued spraying and he was drenched and some had gotten in his eyes. He was hysterical, but I had to stop the spraying hose, and then get Brookie out of her car seat (because I know I would have been arrested if I didn't) and then we bolted inside to flush his eyes out with water. The gas attendant asked if he was alright and I briefly explained what happened while we were washing his eyes out. He then said that it was going to call somebody and I told him he didn't need to because I could just take him to the instacare a couple of blocks away. In the mean time Christian was on his way home from work so I called him, quickly told him what happened and where to come. I was trying to calm Kyle down, wash his eyes out, and keep Brooklyn from opening all of the candy so I had to be super quick on the phone with Christian, but I didn't realize that he didn't hear what happened, he just knew where we were and that something was wrong. Well, finally I got Kyle calmed down and he said his eyes didn't hurt anymore and then all of a sudden a firetruck, ambulance and police car showed up. I could not believe it! I was mortified. About ten huge guys with all kind of equipment showed up and rushed into the gas station. And, of course, Kyle had to feel better right before they got there so I felt even dumber. The guys were so nice and helpful and asked if I wanted them to take Kyle to the emergency room and I told them that wouldn't be necessary. They suggested I take him home and put him in the shower to let the water continue flushing his eyes out and then to follow up with an eye doctor if his eyes seemed irritated later on. While this was going on Christian rushed in the doors and was completely white! There was no time to call him back and tell him everything was alright and then he showed up to the firetruck, ambulance and police car and thought someone was dying. I felt so bad for him! That must have been a terrifying minute from the time he saw all the vehicles down the street to the time he was inside! Anyway, I'm so glad everyone was okay. Oh, and the guys let Kyle get up in the drivers seat on the Firetruck after all the paper work and everything was settled. He got to turn the lights of the truck on and off and he thought he was pretty cool! How boring life would be without a little bit of drama every now and again!

8 comments:

Jillyan said...

Oh my is right!!! I would have been freaking out! I bet you handled it so well. And poor Christian. That would have given me a heart attack. I'm glad everyone is ok. I'm sorry about all the sicknesses and Brookie's ear infections. Call me when everyone is feeling better...I really want to see you guys!!!

Chunk N ME said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad everything worked out ok. That would totally frazzle my nerves! I'm glad all is well

Unknown said...

Holy smokes! What a crazy afternoon. And all the crazy sickness going around at your house...surely some easy months are coming!

megandjon said...

oh man! that is an adventure! and forever kyle will just remember that he got to sit in a fire truck! and poor christian also. i'm glad it all turned out ok!

Rachael and Justin said...

Note to self: DON'T let a three year old put gas in the car!

Walker Fam said...

Julie! Like your Life seriously needed anymore drama at the moment-HOLY COW!! I am just WAY glad Kyle was fine- I am sure he LOVED the attention from all the big "Important" men! And I am also SO relieved to hear you may actually get the bottom of what is going on with little Brookie- it has been long enough! I hope they find out what will help SOON!

NatBug said...

Oh my oh my is right! That is the craziest story ever! I read it to John and after it was over he didn't know whether to feel sorry for you or laugh at you. I feel so bad for you, that must have been a nightmare. But Rach is right, you gave a good lesson to all those who read your blog, DON'T let a 3 year old pump the gas! I hope that your life calms down soon and that some peace is heading your way. The Lord must know that you can handle it!!! Love ya, Nat

The Amundsen's said...

what- how did you not tell me this story yet??? UNBELIEVABLE!! when you guys are in town visiting us we should take all the kids to the gas station & let them try that! play date!!!!