Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Back to the Workforce

I got a part time job, if you can believe it! I am going to be a cord blood phlebotomist. It's going to be a pretty amazing job. I will be on the maternity floor the whole time and actually be in on the birth of the babies. After the baby is born they cut the cord and hand the baby to the mom and hand the placenta to me. I will then take the placenta to my work space and extract all the blood from it and then package it up and send it off to the blood bank. I've posted a link below of an article that explains what I will be doing, and it even has a picture of the lady that interviewed me. I will be in that same gear when I work. It's pretty intense! Overall, I'm super excited about everything. I found a GREAT in-home daycare for the kids, and it turns out that she is the sister-in-law of Christians cousin. I met her at Christians cousins bridal shower and was really impressed with her. She just seemed like a neat person so I was Thrilled after talking to her on the phone and realizing that connection. There is NO way I would have taken this job if I didn't have a wonderful place for the kids. I think it will be good for all of us to have a little break from each other once or maybe twice a week. The daycare lady has kids the same age as Kyle and Brookie and I think it will be a great situation. I go back and forth with feeling guilty for taking a job, but I am really excited about. I'll at least try it out and see how it works for everyone.


http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11820706?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

10 comments:

Kyle and Amy said...

Oh Julie! That just breaks my heart that little Brookie has had to have 2 (right2??) surgeries! Poor girl- and how sad for you too. I am glad it seems to have fixed the problem! I hope she feels better soon! We would love to come see you guys.

Jillyan said...

I am so jealous! I have been trying to find a part time job. It's hard to find something that will be flexible. I'm glad you found something that will work for you and the kids! What an interesting job. Way to go!

Unknown said...

it's gonna be great! so happy for you!

Tricia L said...

That sounds like an AMAZING job! How fun!! I'm really excited for you!

NatBug said...

Congratulations on the job, it sounds and looks really cool? Did you say what hospital you are going to work at? I might be switching to the IMC, that would be cool if we were in the same building, I would be on the ICU floor!
Anyways, I totally know how you feel about the guilt. I had major guilt gut when I started my job over 14 months ago, and my kids were older than yours! TJ was 7 and Jake was 4! The first day Jake said to me "you and daddy left me here a long time!" Talk about the sinking feeling in your gut? Sometimes, I still feel guilty about having to work full time, but that is where you are lucky, you only work part time. I am glad that you got a good babysitter that you feel comfortable with, I love my kids daycare as well. If I did have littler ones, I would worry more though!

Rachael and Justin said...

I finally checked your blog! Ashlyn's keeping me busy!! Brookie was the cutest little patient ever. That would be so sad sending a child off to the operation room. I love your basement. It looks so so so good. I can't wait to see it in person-next month!!! I'll be home Friday the 17th at about 10:30 a.m. Yay!!!!!!

Brooke said...

Hope it all goes well. Sounds pretty amazing. It was so good to talk to you.

Meagan said...

Way to go Julie- the job sounds amazing- i think it will be perfect for you.

Tyler said...

I am soooo happy for you. I believe it many parents are better after working a little each week. Not that I think a mom should be gone 10 hours a day but anyways. I love you and love that even after all these years you are still the Jewels I was best friends with.

The Amundsen's said...

ooh my heck!! how cool is your job. i can't believe that after all our talks about your new job and everything i didn't even know what you did! you are soooo smart & can do such amazing stuff! you always suprise me! p.s. Love the outfit!!